Dear Reader,

Reader = Friend, maybe family or anyone silly enough to stumble on this page and not leave immediately

Welcome to my blog!

First of all, I'd like to thank you to coming to my production of "Not Your All-American College Kid," written, directed and performed by yours truly, Calen Winn aka thepanthespian aka Puck aka Pan-cake.

Before we begin, I have a few reminders. Please silence, not just set to vibrate as this is an intimate space, your cellphones, pagers, watches, and anything else that might beep, squawk, or otherwise make noise, including small children. Also, please remember to be courteous and kind to the performers and your fellow audience members, profanity is allowed, but please keep all comments civil and constructive.

Finally, anything new I write will appear as a blog post, but make sure to check out my "Pre-Blog Writings" pages, linked in the sidebar, which may grow as I discover more old writing worthy of posting.

Now, sit back, and enjoy "Not Your All-American College Kid" by Calen Winn

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Giving old books new looks

So, in the past week I have been rereading a number of books that were a vital part of the latter half of high school for me.  Most of them about queer teens, but that's beside the point.  I have always been fond of re-reading books, for a few different reasons, and I was reminded of this stronger than ever re-reading these books now.

I find that each time I read a book, I get different things from it.  First of all, I tend to skim read a lot, and am not always conscious that I have skipped over a certain passage/paragraph/etc. when I read a book for the second time, I almost always notice little details I didn't see the first time I read it.

But I don't just read my favorite books twice, I buy them, and re-read them over and over.  I have discovered that reading the same book at multiple points in my life I connect with very different parts of the book.  Often times as I'm reading I realize that I have completely passed over or ignored a theme or passage which was vital to my last reading of the book.  Often times, re-reading books gives me great insight into the shifts in outlook that have happened in my life.

Once again, re-reading these books has given me great insight into my own life.  I don't quite know how to explain the insight without going into great detail about a lot of things, but suffice to say, it's time for a change.  It's time to stop settling and get out and live my life.  It's time to Be Alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment