Dear Reader,

Reader = Friend, maybe family or anyone silly enough to stumble on this page and not leave immediately

Welcome to my blog!

First of all, I'd like to thank you to coming to my production of "Not Your All-American College Kid," written, directed and performed by yours truly, Calen Winn aka thepanthespian aka Puck aka Pan-cake.

Before we begin, I have a few reminders. Please silence, not just set to vibrate as this is an intimate space, your cellphones, pagers, watches, and anything else that might beep, squawk, or otherwise make noise, including small children. Also, please remember to be courteous and kind to the performers and your fellow audience members, profanity is allowed, but please keep all comments civil and constructive.

Finally, anything new I write will appear as a blog post, but make sure to check out my "Pre-Blog Writings" pages, linked in the sidebar, which may grow as I discover more old writing worthy of posting.

Now, sit back, and enjoy "Not Your All-American College Kid" by Calen Winn

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

TMI

I love to share.  I love it when people share things with me.  And I don't really have any topics that make me uncomfortable.  What does all this mean?  I don't have a TMI point, or a TMI filter.  I respect when others don't want to share things, but when someone says something and then apologizes because it was TMI, I tell them that anything they want to share with me is fine by me.

I think the idea of TMI is just one of the ways our generation has found to make communication more disconnected. It is part of the growing fad of meaningless drivel and daily pleasantries that pass for conversation in this day and age.  And I say, ENOUGH!  It has gotten to the point where schools are even encouraging more average friendships over the one or two special ones.

If we are to have a meaningful life, it is important to find a network of people we are close to, and who we are comfortable sharing everything with.  The phrase TMI gets in the way of this, making us think that some things aren't meant to be shared.

TMI is particularly prevalent in conversations around sex and sexuality, a phenomenon which I find particularly weird.  I think it's preposterous that our puritanically-based society in America has decided that sex, potentially the most gratifying, connecting, beautiful experience of one's life, is dirty, taboo, and not a proper topic for polite conversation.

I advocate the introduction of the abbreviation TLI or Too Little Information.  It is always up to the person talking to share or not, but sharing, and then, for the sake of others, saying you shared too much, is just silly, in my humble opinion.  And, if it's the person listening saying TMI, SHUT UP, they just cared enough to tell you something personal.  Appreciate that trust, and if anything, thank them for sharing, don't minimize what they said by saying it isn't proper conversation.

I have no idea how to end this, so I leave you with a song:


Thank you...honey?

1 comment:

  1. I believe I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.
    Also, what the hell IS polite conversation? Small talk? Or just what society deems 'appropriate' in a sweeping generalization that is more an anomaly than the rule?

    ReplyDelete